John F. Hundley
John Hundley has focused his practice for more than twenty years on a broad range of complex criminal, civil, and administrative matters, with an emphasis on white collar criminal defense. He has handled cases involving money laundering, mail and wire fraud, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, espionage and national security matters, antitrust violations, bribery and public corruption, securities violations, health care fraud, environmental crimes, and tax evasion. Mr. Hundley also has handled internal corporate investigations, international extraditions, administrative debarment proceedings, as well as other civil and administrative matters. Over the years, he has participated in the representation of several high profile clients, including Monica Lewinsky, FBI Agent Robert Hanssen, and Michael Scanlon, and has litigated cases in trial and appellate courts in multiple federal and state jurisdictions. As a result of his work on national security matters, he has held and maintained high level security clearances, including Top Secret SCI. Mr. Hundley is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale and has been repeatedly recognized by various publications as one of the top criminal defense lawyers in the Washington, D.C. area.
Education and Employment
Mr. Hundley graduated from the University of Virginia in 1989, and he received his law degree from the Georgetown University Law Center in 1993. After graduating from law school, Mr. Hundley served as a judicial law clerk for the Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Upon the completion of his federal clerkship in 1994, Mr. Hundley joined the Law Offices of Plato Cacheris, where he became a partner in 1999. After spending several years at a large, international law firm, in January 2005, Mr. Hundley and Mr. Cacheris joined Trout Cacheris & Janis (then named Trout Cacheris).
Membership and Recognition
Mr. Hundley is a member of the bar in Virginia and in the District of Columbia. He is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd, 4th, and D.C. Circuits, the U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, and the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia. He has litigated cases in trial and appellate courts in multiple federal and state jurisdictions. Mr. Hundley is a member of the Criminal Justice and Litigation sections of the American Bar Association, the District of Columbia Bar, the Virginia State Bar, the Federal Bar Association, and the Fairfax Bar Association. He is also a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, the Lawyers Club, and the Barristers.
Mr. Hundley is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale and has been recognized repeatedly for his expertise in white collar criminal defense by Best Lawyers in America (2010 – present) and Washington DC Super Lawyers (2010 – present).
- Below is a list of notable matters in which Mr. Hundley has participated:
- Representation of several senior executives in investigations involving allegations of bribery of government officials in foreign jurisdictions in violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) and other statutes.
- Representation of a number of individuals in national security and espionage investigations and prosecutions, including FBI Agent Robert Hanssen, CIA Agent John Kiriakou, DOD analyst Larry Franklin, DOD contractor Tai Shen Kuo, and DIA analyst Ana Belen Montes.
- Defense of corporate executives in investigations and prosecutions brought by the Department of Justice regarding allegations of anti-competitive conduct in violation of the Sherman Act.
- Defense of public relations executive Michael Scanlon in a fraud and public corruption prosecution brought by the Department of Justice in the US District Court for the District of Columbia as part of the wide ranging Jack Abramoff corruption scandal. Also represented Mr. Scanlon in related congressional hearings.
- Representation of government contracting firms and/or their executives/employees in investigations and prosecutions for contracting fraud, money laundering, and tax evasion, as well as subsequent administrative debarment proceedings.
- Representation of Monica Lewinsky in Office of Independent Counsel investigation of and related contempt proceedings against President Clinton.
- Representation of doctors and employees in investigations and prosecutions regarding health care fraud and inappropriate billing practices.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a major food processing company into allegations of improper treatment and handling of its product and represented the company in a federal investigation involving a massive recall of allegedly tainted and contaminated product.
- Representation of several attorneys, including two former US Attorneys, in disciplinary proceedings related to allegations of misconduct and/or violations of ethical duties.
- Defense of an executive of Purchase Pro, in a joint DOJ and SEC investigation and prosecution of several high level executives of AOL and Purchase Pro regarding violations of the securities laws, improper accounting practices, and obstruction of justice.
- Defense of an executive at Zurich Financial, in a criminal prosecution brought by the NY Attorney General’s Office related to issues of price-fixing and bid-rigging, as well as related criminal and civil investigations in multiple other states.
- Representation of a senior investment advisor of Bank One (now JP Morgan Chase) in an investigation brought by the DOJ Tax Division and US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York into allegations of wide spread tax evasion through the creation and use of off-shore tax shelters designed to conceal taxable income.
- Representation of Jose Ignacio Lopez de Arriortua, executive of Volkswagen (and former executive of General Motors), in a civil fraud case in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, and a collateral criminal investigation of economic espionage and fraud conducted by the Department of Justice Fraud Division and related requests for his international extradition.
- Defense of the National Treasurer of the Episcopal Church, in a multi-million dollar embezzlement and fraud case in the US District Court for District of New Jersey and subsequent appeal in the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Defense of a principal in a prominent government relations firm in Office of Independent Counsel public corruption and illegal gratuities investigation of Secretary of Agriculture Michael Espy and representation of client in subsequent administrative debarment proceedings.